IMG31 (Landmannalaugar – Þórsmörk), IMG35 (Þórsmörk – Skógar) and IMG36 (Landmannalaugar – Skógar)
What type of sleeping bag do I need for this trek? What temperature rating do I need?
- A basic sleeping bag with no specific temperature rating is sufficient for this trek since all the huts are heated.
There is no sleeping bag needed for IMG35
Is it possible to rent a sleeping bag for the tour?
Yes, it is possible. The prices pr. sleeping bag are as follows.
- IMG31 and IMG36 – Landmannalaugar Þórsmörk: 7.900 ISK
- Please contact us at email@example.com if you wish to rent a sleeping bag.
What are the sleeping arrangements like in the huts?
- The rooms are dormitories and have bunks and twin beds. Passengers have to be prepared to share a bunk with other travellers from the group. Some huts also have a continuous line of beds.
Is it possible to take a shower in the huts?
- Yes, it is possible in Álftavatn (Day 2), Emstrur (Day 3) and in Þórsmörk (Days 4 and 5) – it costs 500 ISK pr. shower and you can only pay cash. The electricity is powerd by solarsells
Is it possible to charge batteries and phones in the huts?
- It is usually possible to charge batteries and phones in Álftavatn (Day 2), Emstrur (Day 3) and in Þórsmörk (Days 4 and 5). This also costs 500 ISK pr. battery charge. Again, you can only pay cash. On rainy days there is sometimes not enough power to charge the phones because solar cells are used to generate power.
Do the huts have running water?
- Yes, all the huts have running water except the hut on Fimmvörðuháls – there we melt snow for water.
Can Icelandic Mountain Guides accommodate dietary requirements due to allergy or religious reasons?
- Yes, we can accommodate such requirements. We can also accommodate vegetarian, vegna and gluten free dietary requirements for extra charge of 1.500 ISK per day
Meeting point and time
- Meeting point is inside the BSI bus terminall located in city centre of Reykjavik.
- A representative from Icelandic Mountain Guides will be inside the terminal standing next to a sign that says „Meeting Point“. Please approach the representative and let him know you have arrived.
- Meeting time is at 7:15 am.
- We offer the service of picking passengers up from their accommodation in the greater Reykjavík area and driving them to the meeting point – the BSI Bus terminal.
- If you have arranged a pick up through our company, you will be picked up from your accommodation between 6:45 and 07:00 am.
Participants will need to cross rivers . The water level in the rivers changes from time to time due to seasonal conditions. In some cases we will be able to step from stone to stone to get to the other side. In other cases we will need to take our shoes and socks off, put on river crossing shoes and wade the rivers. Your guide will provide you with advice on river crossing as welll as help you to cross the river. Trekking poles might come in handy when wading rivers as well as crossing with a partner.
River crossing shoes – what type?
- The most important thing when choosing shoes for crossing the rivers is to have shoes with good grip since the bottom of the rivers can be very slippery and/or rocky.
- We recommend passengers to bring either an old pair of sneakers or a pair of sturdy sandals for crossing the rivers. The sneakers don’t dry easily though and can be a heavy addition to your backpack.
Note: The rivers can be very cold so bring warm socks such as neoprene socks.
What is included and what is not included in the price?
- Included: Guide for 3 days, food for 3 days (from lunch on day 1 to lunch on day 3), transportation to and from Reykjavík, mountain hut fees, cooking gear
- Not included: International flights to and from Iceland, transportation between Keflavík airport and Reykjavík, accommodation in Reykjavík before and after the trek, transportation to and from meeting point
- You can read all about our cancellation policy on our website here.
Do you require a full payment at the time of booking?
- Yes, we do. It is not possible to pay a deposit or confirmation fee.
Do passengers assist with preparing breakfast and dinner during the trek?
- This is by no means necessary but guides always welcome assistance with breakfast and dinner from passengers.
Is it possible to leave extra luggage somewhere back in Reykjavík while on the trip?
- If you are staying at the same hotel / guesthouse before and after the trek then you can leave your extra luggage there for no extra charge.
- The BSI Bus terminal can also store your bags for 500 ISK pr. bag pr. day.
Do all departures have an English speaking guide?
How much is the pick-up and drop off option?
- The price is 5.000 ISK total
- If you have arranged for a pick-up, you will be picked up from your accommodation in Reykjavík or the Reykjavík area between 7:00 and 7:15 am.
- The tour ends at the BSI bus terminall in Reykjavík around 7:15 pm.
- The tour starts at the BSI bus terminal in Reykjavík at 7:20 am.
- The minimum age of participants on this trek is 16 years.
- Jeans are an absolute no-no in highland tours in Iceland! We also recommend that participants do not wear cotton. See the equipment list for more information.
If you have any other questions about this tour, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org