Ice-Climbing / Winter mountaineering
Technical equipment and climbing-boots can be rented from IMG when not included in the tour. Please check individual tours/courses for what is included.
For introductory Ice-Climbing on Sólheimajökull/Svínafellsjökull (IMG 05 – IMG 15 and IMG 24) please refer to our equipment list for glacier walks.
For your own wellbeing and safety we strongly suggest following the advice of our equipment list, this includes having good quality rain-gear, tops and bottoms! Also respect that cotton clothing is not appropriate for any strenuous outdoor activity – this includes jeans and t-shirts. Modern outdoor clothing is by far more comfortable and will greatly improve your experience.
Boots and Clothing:
- Mountaineering boots, crampon compatible
- Gaiters – Calf or knee height and wide enough for your boots.
- Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic.
- Long Johns (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic.
- Light wool sweater or fleece (2nd layer).
- Warm Jacket – Wool or fleece (3rd layer).
- Soft shell jacket (optional)
- Trousers – soft-shell.
- Hard shell Jacket with hood that fits over a helmet.
- Hard shell trousers – Waterproof and breathable material.
- Thin pair of gloves with good grip.
- Thick pair of gloves with warm liners.
- For Ice climbs we recommend a third extra pair of gloves.
- Socks – Wool or synthetic. One or two pairs for thermal and blister prevention.
- Hat and/ or Balaclava – Wool or synthetic.
- Belay jacket - down or synthetic – preferably with a hood.
- Backpack – approx. 45 liters (2700 cu in).
- Ski goggles – bigger is better.
- Camera, spare batteries..
- Head lamp.
- First-aid kid / medication / blister-kit.
Food and drink:
- Lunch-bag – Sandwiches, biscuits, power-bars etc.
- Water – approx. 1 Liter preferably hot with some flavour.
- Harness with gear loops. Adjustable to fit over winter clothing.
- Belay device
- 2 – 3 locking carabineers.
- Daisy chain or cow’s tail.
Should you have any questions regarding this equipment list or the equipment on our tours feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.