The Shadow of Vatnajökull Trekking / backpacking tour
-Equipment list for In the Shadow of Vatnajökull - IMG49
For your own wellbeing and safety we strongly suggest following the advice of our equipment list, this includes having good quality rain-gear, tops and bottoms! Also respect that cotton clothing is not appropriate for any strenuous outdoor activity – this includes jeans and t-shirts. Modern outdoor clothing is by far more comfortable and will greatly improve your experience.
Boots and Clothing:
- Sturdy Hiking Boots – waterproof with ankle support.
- Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic.
- T-shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic.
- Light wool or fleece sweater (2nd layer).
- Trousers – Strong, light and quick drying e.g. soft-shell.
- Jacket with a good hood – windproof, waterproof and breathable.
- Rain trousers – windproof, waterproof and breathable. Please note that full raingear is mandatory in Iceland.
- Light Gloves – Wool or synthetic.
- Socks – Wool or synthetic. Two or three pairs.
- Warm hat – Wool or synthetic.
- Puffy jacket (e.g. Primaloft or down).
- Backpack – 40-60 liters / 2500 - 3700 cu in – you will need about 5 - 10L free for fresh foods.
- River shoes – Walking sandals or old running shoes with a good grip are a good choice, along with a pair of warm socks or neoprene socks. Open sandals or flip-flops will not do the job.
- Towel – light and packable.
- Camera, spare batteries and a memory card.
- Sunglasses & sun protection.
- Water container – thermos flask or water bottle 0,5 – 1L.
- Headlamp for reading and getting around the hut.
- Personal first aid kit – including blister care.
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- Toiletries; Toothbrush, toothpaste, earplugs and etc.
- Change of clothes for wearing in the huts.
- Dry-bags for electronics and extra clothing.
- Liner bag – sleeping bags are in the huts (IMG 49 only).
- Walking pole(s).
- Neoprene socks – highly recommended for river crossings.
- Pen knife.
- Sun/rain Hat or a Cap.
- Thermal mat (for lunch breaks).
- Heart-warming spirits.
Should you have any questions regarding this equipment list or the equipment on our tours feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Gear Lexicon for trekking tours has more information on gear. Please note that IMG 49 does not have baggage transport like other IMG Trekking tours. All gear and extra clothing is carried from hut to hut. The huts have been supplied with storable food and sleeping bags. Only limited fresh items need to be carried.