The Volcanic Trail 3: IMG383 The Backroad to Landmannalaugar
What type of sleeping bag do I need for this trek? What temperature rating do I need?
- A basic sleeping bag with no specific temperature rating is sufficient for this trek since all the huts are heated.
Is it possible to rent a sleeping bag for the tour?
- Yes, it is possible. The price for renting one sleeping bag for the entire trip The Volcanic Trail 3: IMG383 The Backroad to Landmannalaugar is 6.000 ISK
- Please contact us at email@example.com if you wish to rent a sleeping bag.
What are the sleeping arrangements like in the huts?
- The rooms have bunks and twin beds. Passengers have to be prepared to share a bunk with other travellers from the group. Some huts also have a continuous line of beds.
Is it possible to take a shower in the huts?
- Yes, it is possible in Álftavatn day 1 and in Landmannalaugar day 3. It costs 500 ISK pr. shower and you can only pay cash.
Is it possible to charge batteries and phones in the huts?
- It is only possible to charge batteries and phones in Álftavatn on day 1 and in Landmannalaugar on day 3. This also costs 500 ISK pr. battery charge. Again, you can only pay cash.
Do the huts have running water?
- Yes, all the huts have running water.
Can Icelandic Mountain Guides accommodate dietary requirements due to allergy or religious reasons?
- Yes, we can accommodate such requirements. We can also accommodate vegetarian dietary requirements.
- Gluten free and Vegan diet will cost a little extra – 1.500 ISK pr. day.
Meeting point and time
- Meeting point is at the BSI Bus terminal located near the center of Reykjavík. The address is Vatnsmyrarvegur 10, 101 Reykjavík.
- A representative from Icelandic Mountain Guides will be inside the terminal standing next to a sign that says „Meeting Point“. Please approach the representative and let him know you have arrived.
- Meeting time is at 7:15 am.
- We offer the service of picking passengers up from their accommodation in the greater Reykjavík area and driving them to the meeting point – the BSI Bus terminal.
- If you have arranged a pick up through our company, you will be picked up from your accommodation between 7:00 and 7:15 am.
How much luggage do we carry during the hikes?
- All of your larger luggage is transported for you between huts by the support vehicle. During the trek we will have a luggage transport vehicle in the area that comes and picks up the luggage and takes it from one hut to the other. Please note that sometimes we might have to leave our luggage at a hut, where it will be kept under a tarp for a few hours until the transport arrives and moves it to the next hut. So, we recommend that you bring your luggage in a waterproof duffelbag and with a padlock.
- You have to carry your daypack which needs to contain some extra clothes, (e.g. rain coat, rain trousers, extra socks, gloves, hat etc.), water bottle, food for the day and river crossing shoes (not on day 1 though).
Participants will need to cross rivers on the trail. The water level in the rivers changes from time to time due to seasonal conditions. In some cases we will be able to step from stone to stone to get to the other side. In other cases we will need to take our shoes and socks off, put on river crossing shoes and wade the rivers. Your guide will provide you with advice on river crossing as welll as help you to cross the river. Trekking poles might come in handy when wading rivers as well as crossing with a partner.
River crossing shoes – what type?
- The most important thing when choosing shoes for crossing the rivers is to have shoes with good grip since the bottom of the rivers can be very slippery and/or rocky.
- We recommend passengers to bring either an old pair of sneakers or a pair of sturdy sandals for crossing the rivers. The sneakers don’t dry easily though and can be a heavy addition to your backpack.
Note: The rivers can be very cold so bring warm socks such as neoprene socks.
Is it possible to take a bath in the hot spring in Landmannalaugar on the way back to Reykjavík ?
- Yes, it is possible and ideal when stopping in Landmannalaugar for 2,5 hours during the bus ride on the last day back to Reykjavík
What is included and what is not included in the price?
- Included: Guide, food, transportation to and from Reykjavík, mountain hut fees, cooking gear and transfer of luggage.
- Not included: International flights to and from Iceland, transportation between Keflavík airport and Reykjavík, accommodation in Reykjavík before and after the trek, transportation to and from meeting point (BSI Bus terminal), sleeping bag.
- You can read all about our cancellation policy on our website here.
Do you require a full payment at the time of booking?
- Yes, we do. It is not possible to pay a deposit or confirmation fee.
Do passengers assist with preparing breakfast and dinner during the trek?
- This is by no means necessary but guides always welcome assistance with breakfast and dinner from passengers.
Is it possible to leave extra luggage somewhere back in Reykjavík while on the trip?
- If you are staying at the same hotel / guesthouse before and after the trek then you can leave your extra luggage there for no extra charge.
- The BSI Bus terminal can also store your bags for 1.000 ISK pr. bag pr. day.
Do all departures have an English speaking guide?
How much is the pick‐up and drop off option?
- The price is 5.000 ISK total
- If you have arranged for a pick‐up, you will be picked up from your accommodation in Reykjavík or the Reykjavík area between 7:00 and 7:15 am.
- The tour ends at the BSI Bus terminal in Reykjavík around 19:35.
- The tour starts at the BSI Bus terminal in Reykjavík at 7:15.
- The minimum age of participants on this trek is 16 years.
- Jeans are an absolute no‐no in highland tours in Iceland! We also recommend that participants do not wear cotton. See the equipment list for more information.
If you have any other questions about this tour, you can contact us at