-Equipment list for IMG Backpacking Tours
Specific information about The Laugavegur with a Backpack IMGQ31 see below.
For your own wellbeing and safety we strongly suggest following the advice of our equipment list, this includes having good quality rain-gear, tops and bottoms! Also respect that cotton clothing is not appropriate for any strenuous outdoor activity – this includes jeans and t-shirts. Modern outdoor clothing is by far more comfortable and will greatly improve your experience.
Boots and clothing:
- Sturdy Hiking Boots – waterproof with good ankle support.
- Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic.
- T-shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic.
- Light wool or fleece sweater (2nd layer).
- Trousers – Strong, light and quick drying e.g. soft-shell.
- Jacket with a good hood – windproof, waterproof and breathable.
- Rain trousers – windproof, waterproof and breathable. Please note that full raingear is mandatory in Iceland.
- Gloves 1 – 2 pairs – Wool or synthetic.
- Socks – Wool or synthetic. Two to three pairs.
- Warm hat – Wool or synthetic.
- Long Johns (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic.
- Warm jacket/sweater – Wool or fleece (3rd layer).
- Puffy jacket (e.g. Primaloft or down).
- Backpack – (woman size: 50-60 litres - man size: 60-75 litres) – note that each guest will need about 15 – 20L of space free for food, tents and other communal gear.
- River shoes – Closed sandals or old running shoes with, along with a pair of warm socks or neoprene socks. Open sandals or flip-flops will not do the job.
- Sleeping bag – Down or fibre. Light weight and warm
- Insulation mattress / thermarest.
- Towel – light and packable.
- Sunglasses & sun protection.
- Change of clothes – e.g. long and short underwear.
- Water container – thermos flask or water bottle 0,5 – 1L.
- Camera, spare batteries and a memory card.
- Personal first aid kit – including blister care.
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- Toiletries; Toothbrush, toothpaste etc.
- Swim suit (depends on tour).
- Dry-bags for electronics and extra clothing.
- Walking pole(s).
- Neoprene socks – highly recommended for river crossings.
- Pen knife.
- Sun/rain Hat or a Cap. Shorts
- Heart-warming spirits.
Special note for The Laugavegur with a Backpack IMGQ31:
This tour has only hut accommodation – only a very light sleeping bag is needed and no sleeping mat is needed. If light weight Backpacking tours are of interest In The Shadow of Vatnajökull is another great option.
Should you have any questions regarding this equipment list or the equipment on our tours feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org and/or look at our Gear Lexicon.