For your own wellbeing and safety we strongly suggest following the advice of our equipment list, this includes having good quality rain-gear, tops and bottoms! Also respect that cotton clothing is not appropriate for any strenuous outdoor activity – this includes jeans and t-shirts. Modern outdoor clothing is by far more comfortable and will greatly improve your experience.
Boots and Clothing:
Further reading on Trekking equipment.
- Sturdy Hiking Boots – waterproof with good ankle support.
- Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic.
- T-shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic.
- Light wool or fleece sweater (2nd layer).
- Trousers – Strong and light material that dries quickly e.g. soft-shell.
- Jacket with a good hood – windproof, waterproof and breathable, e.g. Gore-Tex or comparable.
- Rain trousers – windproof, waterproof and breathable. Please note that full raingear is mandatory in Iceland.
- Gloves – Wool or synthetic 2 pairs of different thickness.
- Socks – Wool or synthetic. Two or three pairs.
- Warm hat – Wool or synthetic.
- A duffel bag for the transport of your overnight gear between huts. Please avoid bringing a suitcase!
- Backpack for extra clothes and food during the day. 25 – 40L (1500 – 2500 cu in)
- River shoes – Walking sandals or old running shoes with a good grip are a good choice, along with a pair of warm socks or neoprene socks. Open sandals or flip-flops will not do the job.
- Light Sleeping bag
- Towel – light weight and packable.
- Sunglasses & sun protection.
- Water container – thermos flask or water bottle 0,5 – 1L.
- Headlamp for reading and getting around the hut.
- Casual clothes / change of clothes for wearing in the hut.
- Personal first aid kit – including blister care.
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- Toiletries; Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap etc.
- Walking pole(s).
- Neoprene socks – highly recommended for river crossings.
- Pen knife.
- Sun/rain Hat or a Cap. Shorts
- Thermal mat (for lunch breaks).
- Puffy jacket (e.g. Primaloft or down)
- Camera, spare batteries and a memory card or films.
- Dry-bags for electronics and extra clothing.
- Slippers for indoor use.
- Aperitif or other heart-warming spirits.
Should you have any questions regarding this equipment list or the equipment on our tours feel free to contact email@example.com.