The Volcano Ski Touring Challenge
The ultimate ski touring experience. This tour takes you to three amazing glacier-covered volcanoes!
Tour code: IMG57
The Ultimate Ski Touring Summit Tour
For this ski touring adventure, we take full advantage of the breathtaking variety of Icelandic mountain scenery. The tour includes three stunning peaks, all of them glacier-covered volcanoes.
With every peak, the skiing objective gets more challenging but, at the same time, more rewarding. The first peak is the iconic Snæfellsjökull Glacier on the beautiful Snæfellsnes Peninsula. From there, we head on to the world-famous Eyjafjallajökull Glacier, well known for the troubles it caused for air travel during its eruption in 2010.
Fittingly, the final challenge is Iceland's highest summit, Hvannadalshnúkur (2110m / 6921ft), towering over Vatnajökull icecap, the largest in Europe.
On this six-day tour, we also take time to see the sights on our way and ski in other areas, depending on weather and conditions each time.
Demanding some effort and certain endurance. Good health and some hiking experience is required. 6-8 hours walk per day. Often involves carrying your own gear.
May - June
4 - 12 participants
Accommodations in the greater capital area
Ski Touring per day
4 - 12 hrs
Guides on this Tour
Ski down Iceland's highest summit
Travel with a qualified guide
See the amazing sights on the south coast
- Qualified English-speaking mountain guide for 6 days
- Transportation in a minibus
- Accommodation in twin/dbl rooms in 3 star hotels for 5 nights
- Full board
- Safety equipment
- Accommodation in a single room in 3 star hotels for 5 nights
- Accommodation in Reykjavík before and after the tour
Frequently Asked Questions
For your own wellbeing and safety, we strongly suggest following the advice of our equipment list, especially that cotton clothing is not appropriate for any strenuous outdoor activity. Modern outdoor clothing is by far more comfortable and will greatly improve your experience.
- Touring skis (AT – Telemark – Split-board)
- Ski boots
- Skins, cut for the skis, in good working conditions.
- Ski poles
- Avalanche beacon, probe, and shovel
- Small first AID kit including a blister kit
- Ski socks
- Warm underwear / wool or synthetics
- Pants, e.g soft-shell
- Light fleece jacket
- A soft-shell jacket or other windproof and breathable layer.
- Waterproof jacket and pants.
- Light puffy jacket (e.g. down or Primaloft).
- Warm hat.
- Water bottle/thermos (1 – 2 liters total).
- Gloves – two pairs thin and thick
- Sun block, lip balm, etc.
- Back-pack with straps for skis (30 – 40 liters) / (1800 - 2500 cu in)
- Ski helmet (optional)
- Ski strap
- Favorite sweets / energy bars (optional)
Ski-Mountaineering Tours (e.g. Hvannadalshnukur climbs). The mountaineering equipment is included in the IMG trips on most occasions we provide.
Overnight gear: The style of accommodations varies between different IMG tours. Consider the following:
- Comfortable clothes for indoor use and non-skiing activities.
- Any medication
- Sleeping bag – (Only for IMG55)
- Headlamp - (Only for IMG55)
- Bathing gear (most tours in Iceland)
- Aperitif or likewise (optional)