Volcano Hike with Guidance from Reykjavík
The perfect daytour to experience the raw power of nature by the volcanic eruption in Meradalir. Don't miss this once in a lifetime experience!
Tour code: SRE98
Daytour to the Volcanic Eruption in Meradalir
In 2021, the Reykjanes Peninsula erupted for the first time in 800 years. Now the ground has opened up again and a new eruption has begun. This provides a unique opportunity to study and experience the geologic mysteries of the area and is open for all to enjoy!
Our partners from Reykjavik Excursions offer a guided tour of the volcanic eruption. The driver and guide will take the group to the start of the hiking trail towards the active volcano. The hike takes approximately 2-3 hours each way but the sites around the volcano are always changing due to freely flowing lava and the hiking time can change.
Don´t miss out on this once in a lifetime experience and witness the raw power of lava pouring out of the surface of the earth.
The volcanic landscape can be uneven and challenging. Therefore, sturdy hiking boots and warm outdoor clothing is mandatory. There is no running water on the way to fill a water bottle so please bring plenty of water and a hardy lunch.
Please Note: This tour is guided and operated by our partners Reykjavík Excursions.
The hike will take approximately 2-3 hours each way, please note that this is an estimated time. The sites around the volcano are always changing due to freely flowing lava and the hiking time can change.
7 km each way
This is an active volcano
The landscape around is ever-changing due to running lava and changes to the tour may have to be made on short notice.
We pick you up @
We pick you up @
Add an optional pick-up from your accommodation or nearest pickup point to make your experience even smoother.
BSÍ Bus Terminal
Suites those that are physically active and have some background in basic traveling in mountainous terrain with a backpack. 6-7 hrs walks per day.
Book this tour
Hiking in Volcanic Landscape
- Bus fare
- Free Wi-Fi
- This is a guided tour & hike
- Rain gear
- Hiking boots
- Warm clothing
- Hiking crampons are recommended
- Bring water
- Bring lunch and snacks
Get more information about this tour
Yes I would like to go get the tour info sheet, and receive information about Hiking and Trekking tours in Iceland.
Reykjavik Excursions will follow the recommendations of the Civil protection service and cancel the tour if circumstances at the eruption site are unsafe.
Please be aware of the public guidance for hikers visiting the site. For more information visit the Safe Travel website.
- Be aware that the weather can change quickly.
- Wear hiking shoes, warm and waterproof clothing.
- Assume that the journey may take longer than planned.
- Bring a packed lunch and water to drink.
- Keep an eye on your travel companions. Fatigue and hypothermia come quickly.
- Stick to hills and ridges. Avoid valleys and dells in the landscape.
- There is a risk of rock fall. Beware of steep slopes
- The telephone connection in the area is bad and it can therefore be difficult to call for help if needed.
- Eruption sites can change, and new eruption cracks may open on short notice.
- Gas pollution is strongest close to the area and can lurk in valleys and dells where it is particularly dangerous.
- Gas pollution can change on short notice if the eruption suddenly increases, and it is dangerous to be near the eruption sites without measuring instruments
- Reykjavik Excursions reserve the right to alter the itinerary depending on conditions around the volcano.