The Green Ridge Hike
The Greenridge is one of the hidden gems of Iceland. The almost fluorescent green color of the rhyolite ridge looks like something from another world and is well worth the strenuous hike.
Tour dates 2023:
- August 12th
- August 26th
- September 2nd
Tour code: HB12
A challenging hike through an amazing landscape of vibrant colors
Icelandic Mountain Guides in co-operation with Reykjavík Excursions offers you to join in on a breathtaking trek in the Landmannalaugar are. The destination in Grænihryggur – the Greenridge, a rhyolite ridge where the rock has taken on an incredible green color through a process of rapid cooling (creating glass) and traces of Fe2+ particles (Iron with +2 ions) that commonly give the rhyolite a green color – but rarely in the same amounts as on Grænihryggur.
This departure is only offered a few times during the summer – tailored mostly to our Icelandic customers, so be prepared to meet some local hikers.
Departure is from the bus terminal BSI at 07:00, the bus ride to the start of the hike is a journey through the Fjallabak area with ever changing landscapes, river crossings and narrow roads.
The hike takes about 8 hours and includes some small river crossings, so make sure to bring light shoes or sandals in addition to good hiking boots. Plenty of snacks and a camera.
English & Icelandic
Up to 18 per guide
BSI Bus Terminal in Reykjavík
Walkin per day
800m - 900m
August – September
14 hrs. total
Book this tour
- Experienced and qualified guide
- Transport from Reykjavík
- Personal gear and clothing
- Drinks and food during the tour
- Note: There are rivers to cross, river crossing shoes are needed in addition to sturdy hiking boots.
Keep informed about our tours and adventures!
Yes I would like to go get the tour info sheet, and receive information about Hiking and Trekking tours in Iceland.
We always recommend to book as soon as you are ready especially if you have a strict travel schedule or a large group. It is easy to change or cancel 24 hours before departure by emailing us ([email protected]). Tours can also be purchased the day of as long as there are spaces available.
The weather between June and September can be variable. In September temperatures might start to get lower. Average temperature in Iceland during summer is around 13 degrees (55.4 Fahrenheit).
For your own well being and safety, we strongly suggest following the advice of our equipment list, this includes having good quality rain-gear, tops and bottoms! Also, respect that cotton clothing is not appropriate for any strenuous outdoor activity – this includes jeans and t-shirts. Modern outdoor clothing is by far more comfortable and will greatly improve your experience. There are NO shops on the way so make sure you come prepared!
- Hiking Boots – Appropriate for hiking on rough terrain. Preferably shoes that go above ankle
- Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic
- Light sweater, wool or fleece (2nd layer)
- Warm Jacket – Wool or fleece (3rd layer)
- Pants – light and fast drying – e.g. soft-shell
- Jacket with a good hood – Waterproof and breathable
- Rain pants – Waterproof and breathable material
- Socks – Wool or synthetic
- Warm hat– Wool or synthetic
- Light shoes for river crossings
- Backpack – 25-35 litres, big enough to store extra clothing when not used, optional gear and food
- Sunglasses – most sun glasses should work and make the walk more enjoyable on sunny days
- Walking Pole(s)
- Sun protection / face and lips. High SPF 30 or more
- Sun/rain hat or a baseball cap for sun protection
- Lunch – Sandwiches, biscuits, power-bars etc.
- Water – 1-2 litre of water and/or sport drink. Water intake varies of course between people
A mixture of sweets, raisins, nuts, seeds and chocolate and a few (2 -3) sandwiches is ideal. There are NO shops on the way so make sure you come prepared!